Retirement Planning/work and draw my ex husbands ss

Question
I was married for 14 yrs and have been divorced 34 and never remarried .. My ex is 69 and draws SS .. I will be 62 this yr .. Can I still work and draw his SS .

Answer
Richard Reyes, CFP
Richard Reyes, CFP  
First and foremost I would contact Social Security and ask them to provide a complete calculation for your benefits. I would then visit with a Certified Financial Planner to go over your benefits and how they will marry with your other retirement assets, income, and taxes. It also gives them an opportunity to review your benefits as often times the Social Security Administration has errors or they are making assumptions.

First, you must have been married to your ex-spouse for at least 10 years. Second, you must be at least 62. Third, you must be unmarried currently. And fourth, you can't be entitled to a higher Social Security benefit on your own accord.

Assuming you satisfy this four-part test, in turn, you have effectively the same rights vis-a-vis your spousal share of an ex's Social Security. Namely, while the ex is living, you're entitled to as much as 50% of his or her monthly payout. And when that person dies, you assume survivor's benefits, which qualify you for as much as 100% of the deceased ex-spouse's benefits.  

Retirement Planning

Richard E. Reyes, CFP