Retirement Planning/Retirement

My son has been funding a self directed Roth IRA for a few years. He just got a job with Capital One. They are offering a 401K and a 401K Roth. Can he fund the 401K Roth and still fund his self directed Roth? The 401K Roth has a max of $17,000, won't that put him over the limit for one year? If he does the 401K, can he still do the self directed Roth?

Thanks for the help.

Hi Steve,
Yes, he can still keep contributing to his IRA even if he has a 401k from work. The contribution limit is $5500 annually. Whether the IRA contributions are fully tax deductible depends on his income. If he is single and his income is under $60k or married filing jointly and their income is under $96k it will be fully deductible. If his income is over that it will be partially deductible up until an income of $70k single or $116k jointly where there is no deduction. Here is the IRS income deduction limits. I hope this helps, thanks for asking!

Retirement Planning

David M Iannopollo

I am a professional financial advisor who can assist you with answers on mutual funds, annuities, IRA's, rollovers, qualified and non-qualified retirement plans, retirement planning, educational planning, life, disability and LTC insurances. I can also show you how to take advantage of the stock market gains without the risk of loss!

I have over 25 years experience in the business and financial world.

Life experience has been my greatest education!