Retirement Planning/TSP move from C Fund to L 2040?

Question
I am 52, and I have all my TSP money in the C Fund: $187,000.00.  I probably will not retire until 62 or 65, and by that time I will have 30 years of federal government service, plus Social Security.  Moreover, I have no children and I am single.  Which L Fund should I switch to, and should I make a lump sum (or dollar cost average) move, now?  The market is great, but I feel it would be a mistake to be totally in it.

Answer
Richard Reyes, CFP
Richard Reyes, CFP  
Thanks for your question. I am not going to be able to help you much as the real answer requires that we ask a lot of questions in reference to your risk tolerance and expectations, your other assets, income, etc. With that said one thing is for sure that I don't agree with being all in with the C fund. Even though the choices inside a TSP are not that great and don't allow for proper asset allocation, they are somewhat adequate depending on your situation.

I would definitely move to the L funds just from the standpoint of better asset allocation and ease of management. However, which L fund I will defer that to you since you would have a better understanding of what your goals and objectives are with this money and how they correlate with your other assets.

Thanks for your question.  

Retirement Planning

Richard E. Reyes, CFP