Retirement Planning/social security

Question
I turned 63 in October 014 my husband will turn 62 in aug 2015.  if I retire can I collect under his social security  or just mine alone?

Answer
Richard E. Reyes, CFP
Richard E. Reyes, CFP  
Sandy I will let you know that first and foremost please work with a financial advisor who can take a comprehensive view of your situation and your other assets so you can build an overall plan for your retirement. I receive question after question just like yours and this is exactly why people fail at retirement. Also Social Security doesn't usually know about Social Security and are not trained to provide financial advice so please don't always take their solutions.

Since you are 63 you basically will have two choices as to what benefit you would like to receive either your benefit or your spousal benefit (not both). Either way there will be an reduction adjustment since you have not reached full retirement age of 66.

There are various claiming strategies for married couples that can increase your benefits in many cases by $30,000 to well over $200,000 depending on your situation if you plan it right.  

Retirement Planning

Richard E. Reyes, CFP