Retirement Planning/Social Security Benefits

If my wife retires at 63 on her pension,does my income count against her benefits? Then, when I retire at 66(3 years from now). Can she upgrade to her share of my retirement?
Thanks for your consideration.

Thanks for your question. If your Spouse files for her benefits early, only her income counts towards the possibility of a penalty on her benefits. Notice that even if her Social Security is penalized due to her earning over the limit, that benefit is not lost forever. It merely goes back into her account for future benefits. When you reach FRA, her benefits should get adjusted automatically to the spousal benefit if higher, however, quite often you have to contact the Social Security Administration to make the change.

Thanks for your question.

Retirement Planning

Richard E. Reyes, CFP

I can provide answers to questions relating to retirement especially relating to; income distribution, tax efficiency, long-term care insurance, life insurance, estate planning, asset protection, variable and fixed annuities, alternative investments and prudent portfolio design.

Through the years Richard has built a reputation as one of Central Florida's expert on retirement income distribution by providing sound, unbiased wealth coaching. We believe that Financial Planning is the problem and Wealth Coaching is the solution. The Wealth Coaching process gives you Peace of Mind, so you can stop worrying about your future. It helps you find happiness as it guides you in the TRUTH of investing, by teaching you how to make wise choices as you journey through your life’s stages. It is all about your relationships and what you value, not your net worth.

Seminole Success Magazine “Retirement Planning” Seminole Success Magazine “Small Business Snapshot” The Orlando Sentinel – Ask the Expert Financial Section (Various) Greater Orlando Broker Agent Magazine “The New It” Senior Market Advisor “Random Reader, Random Questions”

B.S. University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
CFP Certificate, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL