Retirement Planning/Vested Account

Question

I was asked to write a definition of a vested account. However, I've not been able to find something worthwhile.

Please could you guide me to obtain a good understanding of what a vested account is with an example?

Answer
Dear Anthony,

I do not know the rules for your country, but in the United States of America one such vested account would be the employer's contribution to an employee's 401(k) (Qualified retirement account) that has had sufficient number of years in force that should the employee choose to leave the company the entire account (less what would be owed to the government)  would belong to the employee.  

Willard R. Brumbaugh, LUTCF

Retirement Planning

Willard R. Brumbaugh, LUTCF