Retirement Planning/Ex-Spouse disability SSI and my SSI

Question
My ex-spouse (64 years old, and single) has been on disability social security for several years, she now wants to collect on both her disability social security and 1/2 of my social security benefits. Can she receive both the disability and 1/2 my benefits? Will there be any affect on my benefits?  I am receiving my social security benefits, I am 67 years old.

Thank you.

Answer
Hi Cal,
You cannot collect Social Security Disability and Social Security Retirement at the same time. Her SS Disability will become SS Retirement when she turns 65. At that point she will get the amount she is eligible for or an amount equal to half of your SS retirement, whichever is greater. Hope this helps!

Dave

Retirement Planning

David M Iannopollo