Retirement Planning/Ex-Spouse disability SSI and my SSI

My ex-spouse (64 years old, and single) has been on disability social security for several years, she now wants to collect on both her disability social security and 1/2 of my social security benefits. Can she receive both the disability and 1/2 my benefits? Will there be any affect on my benefits?  I am receiving my social security benefits, I am 67 years old.

Thank you.

Hi Cal,
You cannot collect Social Security Disability and Social Security Retirement at the same time. Her SS Disability will become SS Retirement when she turns 65. At that point she will get the amount she is eligible for or an amount equal to half of your SS retirement, whichever is greater. Hope this helps!

Retirement Planning

David M Iannopollo

I am a professional financial advisor who can assist you with answers on mutual funds, annuities, IRA's, rollovers, qualified and non-qualified retirement plans, retirement planning, educational planning, life, disability and LTC insurances. I can also show you how to take advantage of the stock market gains without the risk of loss!

I have over 25 years experience in the business and financial world.

Life experience has been my greatest education!