Retirement Planning/Ex spouse ssa benefit denied

I was just denied ssa based on my ex spouse . I was married to him 20 years. Divorced for 30.  I sent all requested and certified paper work and the answer I got from them was.  You don't qualify based on " to qualify for benefits as a wife you and spouse must be married under laws of New Hampshire where he lived when you applied for benefits.  He never lived inNH I. Have only lived here five years.  Married in Michigan in1967 help. This seems like a mistake.  I am applying for EX spouse

You should contact your local security office by telephone and explain that you think an error has occurred. To find your local office, go to this website ( and enter your zip code.

At the same time, you MUST file a request for reconsideration immediately (within 60 days of receipt of the notice). The notice you received should explain how to file one. However, you can find the form on line here: It should be filed with your local social security office.

Did you by any chance remarry after your divorce? That would complicate the situation.

Retirement Planning

I can answer questions about Social Security eligibility, benefits and income taxation. I cannot answer questions about employer pensions, 401(k)s, IRAs or other private retirement funds.

During my career, I counseled the elderly about Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid benefits.

B.A., Bowdoin College, History and French M.S., University of Southern Maine, Health Policy and Management J.D., New York University School of Law