Retirement Planning/Social Security Benefits`

Dear Michelle,

Glad to see someone claims some knowledge of USA Social Security benefit information.

I am a 62 yr old American woman living in Cairo Egypt and I would like to begin collecting my USA Social Security.  I am at a loss to find the correct form to fill out and and know where to send it when it is filled out.  

Please don't tell me to contact the Embassy.  They are not real helpful.   :(  I hope you can guide me to the correct website or agency that can help me and will help me.

Thank you.

Fortunately, everything is completed on line these days. Go to to complete the application, submit it, and track it.

You should be aware that your monthly benefit will be lower if you begin to receive Social Security at age 62 rather than waiting for your normal retirement age of 66. In addition, you should be aware that you will not be eligible for Medicare until you turn age 65.

Retirement Planning

I can answer questions about Social Security eligibility, benefits and income taxation. I cannot answer questions about employer pensions, 401(k)s, IRAs or other private retirement funds.

During my career, I counseled the elderly about Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid benefits.

B.A., Bowdoin College, History and French M.S., University of Southern Maine, Health Policy and Management J.D., New York University School of Law