Retirement Planning/Social Security Benefits`

Question
Dear Michelle,

Glad to see someone claims some knowledge of USA Social Security benefit information.

I am a 62 yr old American woman living in Cairo Egypt and I would like to begin collecting my USA Social Security.  I am at a loss to find the correct form to fill out and and know where to send it when it is filled out.  

Please don't tell me to contact the Embassy.  They are not real helpful.   :(  I hope you can guide me to the correct website or agency that can help me and will help me.

Thank you.

Debbie

Answer
Debbie,

Fortunately, everything is completed on line these days. Go to https://www.socialsecurity.gov/retire/apply.html?gclid=CMK1p6eMoMoCFYcBaQodAi8Iqw to complete the application, submit it, and track it.

You should be aware that your monthly benefit will be lower if you begin to receive Social Security at age 62 rather than waiting for your normal retirement age of 66. In addition, you should be aware that you will not be eligible for Medicare until you turn age 65.

Michelle

Retirement Planning

Michelle