Retirement Planning/Nuveen

We have invested for years in tax free municipal bonds. Bond interest rates are down and have been for a while and don't look to improve. Our financial guy suggests we use a company called Nuveen to help manage , sell, buy our bonds . The goal is to keep our principal and make a decent , not killer , return. We are 50 yrs old and close to retiring. I don't know much about this process. Are you familiar with this scenario?

Richard E. Reyes, CFP
Richard E. Reyes, CFP  
Thanks for your question. Hope this helps.

I am not certain what your complete situation is so I am only going to provide you my observation. It seems you have a lot of individual bonds that you want to sell, unless you hold these bonds individually outside of a brokerage account (which I am not sure if you can even still do that) you can sell them inside your account. You don't have to sell them somewhere else.

Bond prices fluctuate everyday as interest rates fluctuate minus a spread. You will make whatever the bond is worth on the day you sell it. I believe that that your advisor is suggesting you use Nuveen to purchase other types of municipal investments (or other investments) and I really have no idea whether that's a good or bad thing in your situation. Nuveen is a reputable firm that has a lot of different investment offerings no different than Vanguard or Fidelity.

Based on your question, this is about all I can tell you and have no idea if his suggestions will work for you. I suggest that you meet with your advisor again and go over it in depth. I suggest that you also review your plan and evaluate where municipals come into play and for what purpose. I would also evaluate how they tie in to your other assets.

Thanks again for your question. Good Luck!  

Retirement Planning

Richard E. Reyes, CFP

I can provide answers to questions relating to retirement especially relating to; income distribution, tax efficiency, long-term care insurance, life insurance, estate planning, asset protection, variable and fixed annuities, alternative investments and prudent portfolio design.

Through the years Richard has built a reputation as one of Central Florida's expert on retirement income distribution by providing sound, unbiased wealth coaching. We believe that Financial Planning is the problem and Wealth Coaching is the solution. The Wealth Coaching process gives you Peace of Mind, so you can stop worrying about your future. It helps you find happiness as it guides you in the TRUTH of investing, by teaching you how to make wise choices as you journey through your life’s stages. It is all about your relationships and what you value, not your net worth.

Seminole Success Magazine “Retirement Planning” Seminole Success Magazine “Small Business Snapshot” The Orlando Sentinel – Ask the Expert Financial Section (Various) Greater Orlando Broker Agent Magazine “The New It” Senior Market Advisor “Random Reader, Random Questions”

B.S. University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
CFP Certificate, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL