Retirement Planning/Social Security

Question
My question is this:  If I retire at age 63 and my benefit is say $850.00 a month and my ex husband, whom I was married to for over 25 years and is retirement age now, receives say $1200.00 in benefits; how much of his retirement would I most likely receive? (Just using these figures as guides.)  Would I receive my $850.00 plus some of his?  Thanks.

Answer
Vicki,

As long as you remain unmarried, in the scenario you describe, you would be entitled to $350 in benefits in addition to the $850 in benefits you would receive based on your own record.

See here for additional information: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/yourdivspouse.html

Note, however, that your benefit as a divorced spouse is only equal to one-half of your ex-spouse's full retirement amount (or disability benefit) if you start receiving benefits at your full retirement age.  

Retirement Planning

Michelle