Retirement Planning/Social Security

My question is this:  If I retire at age 63 and my benefit is say $850.00 a month and my ex husband, whom I was married to for over 25 years and is retirement age now, receives say $1200.00 in benefits; how much of his retirement would I most likely receive? (Just using these figures as guides.)  Would I receive my $850.00 plus some of his?  Thanks.

As long as you remain unmarried, in the scenario you describe, you would be entitled to $350 in benefits in addition to the $850 in benefits you would receive based on your own record.

See here for additional information:

Note, however, that your benefit as a divorced spouse is only equal to one-half of your ex-spouse's full retirement amount (or disability benefit) if you start receiving benefits at your full retirement age.  

Retirement Planning

I can answer questions about Social Security eligibility, benefits and income taxation. I cannot answer questions about employer pensions, 401(k)s, IRAs or other private retirement funds.

During my career, I counseled the elderly about Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid benefits.

B.A., Bowdoin College, History and French M.S., University of Southern Maine, Health Policy and Management J.D., New York University School of Law