Rheumatology (including Arthritis)/arthritus of the rib cage and sterdum

gjamison wrote at 2011-02-22 20:12:23
This is crap.  There are joints in your sternum.  In fact I've had cortisone shots injected into those joints.  Arthritis of the sternum and ribs is very painful indeed.  

tricia wrote at 2011-12-07 17:11:40
Actually my doctor diagnosed me two years ago with arthritis in my rib cage and when I asked about it he said it is rare and I have it because I have very little muscles and fat on my body to help protect my ribs.  

Megan wrote at 2013-01-09 11:13:50
With respect, there certainly are joints in the ribcage. I can tell you it is quite painful when these are inflamed. There are synovial joints in particular ribs as well as joints connecting to vertebrae and sternum. Referring to a diagram of the ribcage may be helpful when speaking with your physician in pinpointing your pain. It is a very direct and specific pain, I know. I hope you have found relief from it.

Steve Bell wrote at 2013-06-22 20:59:09
I am a retired rheumatologist. The area between the ribs are not joints. Megan you are wrong. The only synovial joints connected with the ribs are where they connect with the spine. It would not have anything to do with the condition as described here. If you look across the internet you will see the term rib arthritis and you will here some doctors use the term. It is rare for a doctor to use the term because there is a consensus in the medical community that the that inflammatory conditions with the rib cage outside of the spinal area are not arthritis but other soft tissue inflammatory conditions.  

Rheumatology (including Arthritis)

Rusty Ford

I can answer questions about most types of arthritis and the drugs and procedures used to treat them.

I manage the one of largest arthritis websites on the internet I have been involved with publishing artritis research for 15 years and aswering questions related to almost any type of arthitis.

Arthritis Foundation