Rheumatology (including Arthritis)/Rheumatoid factor test results and Scleroderma

Hello I was hoping you could help me with a couple of questions. I am a 31 year old female who has been diagnosed with Degenerative disc disease, as well as arthritis, hypothyroid and Spondylothesis as well as some other back conditions. I took a rheumatoid factor test in April of 2012 and have just received the results. I am not clear on the results. The Rheumatoid factor result was <10 with a reference range of 0-14, is <10 the same as 10 and if so does this mean I am negative for RA? Antinuclear antibodies were negative and sTSH (3RD generation) thyroid stim hormone results were 4.630 H with a reference range of 0.36-3.74. Also Erythrocyte sed rate result was 1 with a reference range of 0-19.  I just want to know if my results were negative or positive and if the result of (<10)is the same as 10. Also on top of that i have been having some new symptoms such as blood in my stool as well as on the toilet paper when I wipe (started 2 months ago)cold fingers and feet with numbness and color change, the feeling of being choked mostly in the evening seems to progress as the day goes by. The only reason I bring up these symptoms is because I goggled the choking feeling last night and Scleroderma came up which I know nothing about,just wondering if these could be related. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance for all your help!

The most common symptom of scleroderma (about 97% of us) is secondary Raynaud's disease, where the fingers turn color and become numb during stress or temperature changes. You don't mention this, so it's a good chance you don't have scleroderma. Contact your doctor for her/his opinion on your test results.

Rheumatology (including Arthritis)

Amelia Black

I can answer questions about systemic scleroderma and live and internet resources to help you cope with this disease. I have personal experience with scleroderma, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, and Sjogren's Syndrome.

I am a systemic scleroderma patient (20 years) and have been active in support online for nearly the same amount of time. I proposed the Usenet newsgroup and own the website

I am a volunteer for the Scleroderma Foundation, Ohio Chapter.

Arthritis Today, Sept 1997, "A guide to the internet" (Amelia Yaussy)

International Webmasters Association, Web Technologies Certification

Volunteer of the Year, Scleroderma Foundation, 2004; Advocacy Appreciation Award, Scleroderma Foundation, 2005