Rheumatology (including Arthritis)/Hip Pain


I am 26. For the past 4-5 months I have had some light hip pain. It's not on a daily basis. Sometimes It is just felt with movement, but I recently discovered (or at least connected it to) that it is agravated by alcohol consumption. It has hurt on its own- without alcohol consumption, but I have noticed MOST every time I drink, within a few hours, my actual hip area will get sore to the touch and it lasts a day or so. It's not severe pain, but I'm wondering what this could be and what doctor I should start with to rule out anything serious.

I have found that any pain is more intense when I drink alcohol. The pain is likely there but you're masking it when not drinking. The best doctor to start with is always your "family" doctor, usually a GP or internist for adults in the US. Insurance usually requires it, too. Check with insurance if you don't already have a primary care doctor. If the PC doctor thinks it's aything to be concerned about, s/he will refer you on to a specialist.

Rheumatology (including Arthritis)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Amelia Black


I can answer questions about systemic scleroderma and live and internet resources to help you cope with this disease. I have personal experience with scleroderma, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, and Sjogren's Syndrome.


I am a systemic scleroderma patient (20 years) and have been active in support online for nearly the same amount of time. I proposed the Usenet newsgroup alt.support.scleroderma and own the website ihavescleroderma.com.

I am a volunteer for the Scleroderma Foundation, Ohio Chapter.

Arthritis Today, Sept 1997, "A guide to the internet" (Amelia Yaussy)

International Webmasters Association, Web Technologies Certification

Awards and Honors
Volunteer of the Year, Scleroderma Foundation, 2004; Advocacy Appreciation Award, Scleroderma Foundation, 2005

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.