Rheumatology (including Arthritis)/Arthritis of hip

Question
I have arthritis of my right hip with pain in the right groin. I recently started having severe pain in my butt where I can't sit for any length of time. I went to my orthopedic who said it was my SI joint and has given my a shot in both joints. Now he says it is arthritis of my hip with pain in the buttock. Is there anything I can do on my own, vitamins, food, etc. rather then going to another doctor for more shots or surgery. I'm a 62 year old female. I've had two spinal surgeries, 3 shoulder surgeries, neck surgery. I really don't want any more.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Answer
I've been taking glucosamine/chondroitin on the advice of the orthopedic doc who diagnosed my hip arthritis for many years and do notice a difference when I'm not on it. It's pretty subtle but helpful for me. I walk (two dogs) most days of the week and though it can be challenging off and on overall it has seemed to improve the use of the joints. Hip joints are weight bearing, so if you're carrying any extra weight, it would help to lose it. I know this is a difficult challenge - I'm overweight myself and always working on it. Posture is important, too. I catch myself all the time in bad positions that I know will hurt me later. These all seem pretty simplistic but I hope they strike a chord with you.

Rheumatology (including Arthritis)

Amelia Black