Rolling Stones, The/factory sample.

I've got a question about my through the past darkly uk factory sample( testpressing) mono lp with ungrooved blue label. Would there be a uk mono "Through the past darkly" with 1A-2A matrixnumbers? All the TTPD uk mono's i ever seen had always 1A-3A matrixnumbers. My uk mono TTPD demo ( factory sample) has 1A-1A matrixnumbers.( these matrixnumber is never used on the regular mono copies.So, I think, if there's a 1A , and 3A , then there must also exist a 2A , but i never seen one. Hope you can help me ? Can you tell me what the value is of this factory sample?. I also have a uk factory sample of Aftermath stereo grooved,  pink, blue label with matrtixnrs; 5W on both sides.I'm also an expert on this "All experts" site, but i like opinion of other experts like you, ACP. Grts Kristof

Hello and thank you for your question.

First, may I say congratulations on scoring Stones factory sample LPs.  You are correct to assume there's a 2A press plate created for TTPD, but it unfortunately does not confirm whether such a plate was used to press an actual disc.  I do not have such a copy with which to refer, only the standard 1A/3A.

Value would depend heavily on whether you're able to trace ownership to time of pressing.  Many of these factory samples were given to notable people within the music industry.  For sake of argument, let's say you can not produce a trace of ownership.  With regard to the TTPD, I'd imagine that such a factory sample would be even more rare than say a sample from the mid-1960s (such as with Aftermath).  So while it would be safe to put a value of $1,000-1,500 on an Aftermath, my guess is that TTPD with such a matrix may be twice that.  However, this is only my personal estimation.  If ownership can indeed be traced to its origin, and the individual it was designated for is significant, the value would be even greater.

Thank you again for your question and please feel free to contact again.

Rolling Stones, The

I'm here to assist in answering any of your questions related to official vinyl record albums by The Rolling Stones. This includes all places on earth where Stones record albums were produced (including Chile, Iran, Colombia, and many more). Guided by a personal collection and database featuring albums from nearly every corner of the globe and every official pressing of US LP for public use, promotion-only, and unissued projects. Feel free to request information about any aspect from basic identification to thorough evaluation and everything in between such as country of origin, date of release, approximate valuation, matrix information, stampers, mothers, codes, re-issues, alternate pressings, alternate takes, best press sources, alternate sources of particular songs, and whatever else for both covers and discs. Answers are honest, legitimate, and are most often based on information gathered from my own collection and direct experience. Though I specialize in LPs, my knowledge extends to singles and EPs. Expect no plagiarism and no fabricated facts to cover-up lack of knowledge. If I don't have the answer for you, I'll give you another source to review or offer a quote with proper credit.

Over 20 years collecting records of The Rolling Stones from around the globe. I own hundreds of variations of album covers and discs, several of which are otherwise unidentified in other sources. My public online articles, reviews and overviews have been quoted and otherwise referenced in countless websites (including this one by other 'experts').

Rolling Stone (letter), Reader's Digest (quoted information), Acclaim (quoted information), Boston Globe (quoted information).

The best record-collecting education you can get is by talking to people from all walks of life. Listening and sharing. I live for it.