Rolling Stones, The/Real or Fake Album Cover

I recently purchased a Rolling Stones vinyl "England's Newest Hit Makers - London, USA - with bottom left Free color pic inside.  I paid $ 15.00 at a record store.  To me, the album cover is in great condition. I am concerned that it may be fake.  The back of the jacket looks in all ways original, but the front has a rough feel to it, not smooth like the back. I inspected it - it seems real - but I was expecting a smooth cover.  What do you think?

Hello and thank you for your question.

The first pressing covers of 'England's Newest Hitmakers' as you describe had three texture variations, but they are all original, first pressings.  Depending on which plant printed it, the cover will either be highly textured, lightly textured, or somewhat glossy.  Fear not, as no counterfeits were ever made for this cover - it would have been a waste of money for counterfeiters to attempt such a venture.  Incidentally, if your record included the original bonus photo, its texture would match the front cover.

Feel free to contact again should you have any additional questions.

Rolling Stones, The

I'm here to assist in answering any of your questions related to official vinyl record albums by The Rolling Stones. This includes all places on earth where Stones record albums were produced (including Chile, Iran, Colombia, and many more). Guided by a personal collection and database featuring albums from nearly every corner of the globe and every official pressing of US LP for public use, promotion-only, and unissued projects. Feel free to request information about any aspect from basic identification to thorough evaluation and everything in between such as country of origin, date of release, approximate valuation, matrix information, stampers, mothers, codes, re-issues, alternate pressings, alternate takes, best press sources, alternate sources of particular songs, and whatever else for both covers and discs. Answers are honest, legitimate, and are most often based on information gathered from my own collection and direct experience. Though I specialize in LPs, my knowledge extends to singles and EPs. Expect no plagiarism and no fabricated facts to cover-up lack of knowledge. If I don't have the answer for you, I'll give you another source to review or offer a quote with proper credit.

Over 20 years collecting records of The Rolling Stones from around the globe. I own hundreds of variations of album covers and discs, several of which are otherwise unidentified in other sources. My public online articles, reviews and overviews have been quoted and otherwise referenced in countless websites (including this one by other 'experts').

Rolling Stone (letter), Reader's Digest (quoted information), Acclaim (quoted information), Boston Globe (quoted information).

The best record-collecting education you can get is by talking to people from all walks of life. Listening and sharing. I live for it.