Rolling Stones, The/beggars banquet mis-pressed

Hi there

I have a Rolling Stones "Beggars Banquet" on white vinyl on the Decca label.  It's dutch manufactured and the catalogue number is 6835205.  It is mispressed and has 2 side 1's but both sides are labelled normally.

Do you have any information on the rarity of this item?  I've been asking around but nobody seems able to tell me anything.  Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Kind regards

Hello and thank you for your question.

You're describing a far more rare mispress variation.  Label from another album, identical labels on both sides, misaligned labels, are all somewhat common.  To have the same plate pressed on both sides of a disc is far more uncommon, but it's value, like any other mispress, is extremely difficult to gauge.

Most collectors do not have interest in these.  You have to start with the interest in the item itself - without the error.  The white vinyl Beggar's Banquet is popular, and you can safely place a minimum price of $40 on an EX/NM copy.  There are a few collectors who value a mispress such as yours, bringing it's possible value to twice that in a similar condition.  However, there are far more collectors who have no interest in paying a premium for such a mispress.  In fact, such a mispress would diminish value to many.

To start, it's safe to place a minimum value of $40 for a top, standard copy of this album.  The copy you have is without a doubt quite rare, but from experience, I'd imagine even top price would not exceed $75 for such a mispress in the current market.  Even so, finding a buyer would be difficult.  If value was based purely on rarity, it would be worth far more to many more people.  But, I'm afraid the interest is not quite there.  Especially since it's not a US or UK edition, which would demand far more interest considering their more strict quality control efforts.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask.

Rolling Stones, The

I'm here to assist in answering any of your questions related to official vinyl record albums by The Rolling Stones. This includes all places on earth where Stones record albums were produced (including Chile, Iran, Colombia, and many more). Guided by a personal collection and database featuring albums from nearly every corner of the globe and every official pressing of US LP for public use, promotion-only, and unissued projects. Feel free to request information about any aspect from basic identification to thorough evaluation and everything in between such as country of origin, date of release, approximate valuation, matrix information, stampers, mothers, codes, re-issues, alternate pressings, alternate takes, best press sources, alternate sources of particular songs, and whatever else for both covers and discs. Answers are honest, legitimate, and are most often based on information gathered from my own collection and direct experience. Though I specialize in LPs, my knowledge extends to singles and EPs. Expect no plagiarism and no fabricated facts to cover-up lack of knowledge. If I don't have the answer for you, I'll give you another source to review or offer a quote with proper credit.

Over 20 years collecting records of The Rolling Stones from around the globe. I own hundreds of variations of album covers and discs, several of which are otherwise unidentified in other sources. My public online articles, reviews and overviews have been quoted and otherwise referenced in countless websites (including this one by other 'experts').

Rolling Stone (letter), Reader's Digest (quoted information), Acclaim (quoted information), Boston Globe (quoted information).

The best record-collecting education you can get is by talking to people from all walks of life. Listening and sharing. I live for it.