Rolling Stones, The/beggars banquet mis-pressed

Question
Hi there

I have a Rolling Stones "Beggars Banquet" on white vinyl on the Decca label.  It's dutch manufactured and the catalogue number is 6835205.  It is mispressed and has 2 side 1's but both sides are labelled normally.

Do you have any information on the rarity of this item?  I've been asking around but nobody seems able to tell me anything.  Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Kind regards
Fran

Answer
Hello and thank you for your question.

You're describing a far more rare mispress variation.  Label from another album, identical labels on both sides, misaligned labels, are all somewhat common.  To have the same plate pressed on both sides of a disc is far more uncommon, but it's value, like any other mispress, is extremely difficult to gauge.

Most collectors do not have interest in these.  You have to start with the interest in the item itself - without the error.  The white vinyl Beggar's Banquet is popular, and you can safely place a minimum price of $40 on an EX/NM copy.  There are a few collectors who value a mispress such as yours, bringing it's possible value to twice that in a similar condition.  However, there are far more collectors who have no interest in paying a premium for such a mispress.  In fact, such a mispress would diminish value to many.

To start, it's safe to place a minimum value of $40 for a top, standard copy of this album.  The copy you have is without a doubt quite rare, but from experience, I'd imagine even top price would not exceed $75 for such a mispress in the current market.  Even so, finding a buyer would be difficult.  If value was based purely on rarity, it would be worth far more to many more people.  But, I'm afraid the interest is not quite there.  Especially since it's not a US or UK edition, which would demand far more interest considering their more strict quality control efforts.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask.

Rolling Stones, The

ACP