Rolling Stones, The/Exile on Main street The Stones

Question
I picked up a excellent copy of Exile in a $1 bin today .The vinyl & sleeves were like they hadn't even taken them out of the cover . The cover had been pinned up on all 4 corners and was clean and crisp I paid $30 last year for a first pressing from a friend of my sons at a good ol boy discount , it was for my son. How can I tell if this is a fist pressing . His friend is no longer with us or I could check with him. Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.

Answer
Hello and thank you for your question.

With regard to U.S. pressings of Exile on Main Street, the easiest way to distinguish a first pressing from all subsequent non-contemporary pressings is to look at the design of the cover.  Only the first pressing had what's known as a 'unipak' design.  This means that the cover opens like a book, but has a pocket which is open at the center.  Essentially, the two discs and thick inner sleeves are in a pocket which is closed by a thin cardstock flap.  All subsequent pressings in the 1970s and '80s had a standard gatefold cover where each disc had its own pocket and both opened on the right side.

In other words, take a look at the cover while it is closed.  If you can pull out the discs (with or without the inner sleeves) without opening the cover like a book, it's a later pressing.  If you need to open the cover like a book to have access to a pocket where the discs are, then it's a first pressing.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask.

Rolling Stones, The

ACP