Rolling Stones, The/info copies sold

Question
Spectable friends of Rolling Stones (favolosi!!!)
The RIAA certifying copies sold since 1973....
in "1972",who certified that?
Thank you.
(excuse me,i am italian..not speack inglish.I am author song Shirley Bassey)

vittorinopecchia@gmail,com

Answer
Hello and thank you for your question.

In the United States, the Record Industry Association of America (RIAA) has been certifying record sales since 1958.  However, the criteria has changed significantly over the years.  For years prior to 1975, a Gold certification for singles was one million (1,000,000) units sold.  Gold certifications for albums were sales of $1,000,000 in wholesale valuation.  In 1975, the criteria for Gold albums included sales of 500,000 units.  Platinum sales certificates were first issued in 1976.  Multi-platinum certificates were introduced in 1984.  Oftentimes, singles and albums sales do not reflect true sales numbers either because of the earlier (monetary, not unit) standard, or because the record's respective company did not request an audit of sales.  In order for an RIAA certificate to be awarded, the record company must submit an audit request and pay a fee for the service.

In the United Kingdom, the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) has been certifying sales since April, 1973.  Prior to that, there was no officially recognized and sanctioned sales certification organization.  Certifications for albums released prior to April, 1973 were offered at the conclusion of an audit of available sales documentation.  These certifications most often reflected sales which occurred after the BPI was formed.  Certifications for albums released prior to 1973 don't truly reflect total sales.  For example, the Rolling Stones Let it Bleed and Beatles Sgt. Pepper have since been offered platinum status, but they reflect sales beginning in 1973.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask.

Rolling Stones, The

ACP