Rolling Stones, The/Out Off Our Heads LP

I'm trying to find out if my lp is a first pressing and if its collectable. My LP label at the top has LONDON LONG PLAYING STEREOPHONIC.
Bottom of label has (ZAL 6972. The back cover bottom has PLAY THIS RECORD ONLY ON STEREOPHONIC EQUIPMENT. I looked on ebay and could not find any like this. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello and thank you for your question.

It sounds as though you have a first U.S.-made stereo pressing.  However, it wouldn't be the first overall pressing of that LP.

The first stereo pressing of this LP has a label which indicates 'Made in England'.  You would see a LONDON FFRR logo within a box.

From what I gather from your description, you have the first pressing which was 'Made in the USA' - this is the pressing which immediately followed the 'Made in England' pressing.  It has a London logo (without a box) above the words 'Long Playing' and then a STEREOPHONIC bar beneath.  It was pressed for a very short period of time in 1965 and is relatively uncommon.

Though this is not a true first pressing of this album, you do have a very collectible pressing.  Later London stereo pressings had the London logo within a box and no mention of 'Long Playing' which were otherwise reserved for mono labels.  Collectors will look for the 'unboxed' logo as you describe, as many believe it indicates a pressing which is superior to the significantly more common 'boxed' London label pressings.

Thank you again for your question.  If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask.

Rolling Stones, The

I'm here to assist in answering any of your questions related to official vinyl record albums by The Rolling Stones. This includes all places on earth where Stones record albums were produced (including Chile, Iran, Colombia, and many more). Guided by a personal collection and database featuring albums from nearly every corner of the globe and every official pressing of US LP for public use, promotion-only, and unissued projects. Feel free to request information about any aspect from basic identification to thorough evaluation and everything in between such as country of origin, date of release, approximate valuation, matrix information, stampers, mothers, codes, re-issues, alternate pressings, alternate takes, best press sources, alternate sources of particular songs, and whatever else for both covers and discs. Answers are honest, legitimate, and are most often based on information gathered from my own collection and direct experience. Though I specialize in LPs, my knowledge extends to singles and EPs. Expect no plagiarism and no fabricated facts to cover-up lack of knowledge. If I don't have the answer for you, I'll give you another source to review or offer a quote with proper credit.

Over 20 years collecting records of The Rolling Stones from around the globe. I own hundreds of variations of album covers and discs, several of which are otherwise unidentified in other sources. My public online articles, reviews and overviews have been quoted and otherwise referenced in countless websites (including this one by other 'experts').

Rolling Stone (letter), Reader's Digest (quoted information), Acclaim (quoted information), Boston Globe (quoted information).

The best record-collecting education you can get is by talking to people from all walks of life. Listening and sharing. I live for it.