Roofing/Defective 3 tab shingle

Harold wrote at 2008-05-07 04:30:24
The answer above doesn't address the problem:  I installed three tab shingles made to look like arcitectural shingles on my roofs in 1998 and 10 years later all of it has to be replaced due to premature cracking.  The previous 3 tab roof was on my house 35 years.  This problem seems to be with all manufactured 3 tabs that look like architecturals.  Mine were BP.  I notice similar complaints about Certainteed architectural 3 tabs.  So yes there is a widespread issue with this particular shingle design.

Scott Owen wrote at 2008-08-30 04:34:30
The product that you are describing sounds like Certainteed Independence. I refer to it as a 3-tab Architectural, because it has slots and separate individual pieces added on top of the shingle. Certainteed had many problems with their initial efforts at asphalt shingle manufacturing. If this is the product, they will likely offer a coupon for a discount on more of their material if it is found to be defective.

GT wrote at 2014-09-28 17:34:35
 Geogia Pacific originally made this shingle design as Valliant, sometimes in a reddish color that I am inspecting in San Antonio next week.  Atlas bought their shingle division and started producing a similar shingle in about 1998 to 2004 or so, using a different name that I can look up, and it was primarily produced in a weathered wood color.  Cracks in shingles that are less than 15 years old typically result from a overheating condition due to a lack of proper attic cross ventilation.  That means air must enter through the soffit and out through vents at or close to the ridge, the air must "flow" or attics overheat.  If the overheating issue is not addressed, the plywood deck will dry out and become brittle.  If this has already occured then a distinct cracking and popping will be heard when walking on the roof slopes.  

Brad Zacharia

All aspects of residential Roofing. This includes shingles and flat (low slope) roofs. I have knowledge in the installation as well as the design of roofs from an engineering standpoint.

I have been doing roofing for 40 years. This was my father's business and I took it over in 1980.

I have written responses to artcles that I felt needed a response to and those responses have been published in roofing trade magazines.

BSEE Drexel University