Roofing/Ice dams on low slope roof

Judith wrote at 2011-11-09 18:26:00
I have a low slope roof/cathedral ceiling and I installed 2 shingled roofs and to this day I still have ice damming. The second roof, I installed ice and water shield, doubled up and still have ice damming, although I have a ridge vent, 2 maximas and redid the soffits by removing all the wood. I am truly fed up so 2012 I will install a membrane roof but would hire a contractor to raise the roof to have some type of air ventilation.

That is my take.

harry wrote at 2013-01-12 17:49:09
Thank you. Have had the problem only with this house. Yes, I believe the leak is the problem, not the ice dam. I have been told over and over to insulate/vent the attic and that did not work, leaving me wondering why only this house in 51 years. Glad to have an answer!

Brad Zacharia

All aspects of residential Roofing. This includes shingles and flat (low slope) roofs. I have knowledge in the installation as well as the design of roofs from an engineering standpoint.

I have been doing roofing for 40 years. This was my father's business and I took it over in 1980.

I have written responses to artcles that I felt needed a response to and those responses have been published in roofing trade magazines.

BSEE Drexel University