Roofing/Roof Roll History

Larry G. wrote at 2013-01-07 09:32:42
I was a roofing/siding/remodeling contractor in two States for 30 years in Oregon, and 2 years in Washington State. I retired in 2000. What you speak of was called "TARpaper", until the 70's. Then it was refered to as "tar-paper" for 15 to 55 lb tar-filled roll roofing "felt" underlayment. Old rags were ground up and used as a filler when factories made it. The same was was done for "3-tab, "no tab", interlocking shingles, and single-tab shingles, until the invention of fiberglass was used as a filler for them. Some people mistakenly called 90 lb mineral-sufaced cap sheet roll roofing "tarpaper", but it was not tar paper, it was originally designed as a top and last roll for the very tops of airplane hangers, hence "cap sheet". Farmers eventualy used the heavy 90 lb mineral surfaced roll roofing right out of the roll, as is with no tar sealant. But eventually less tar was used as a base and replaced with ground fiberglass fiber filler, so the product lasted only half as long. It was not always reliable enough to stop water from seeping through it when saturated after heavy rains. I hope this helps..

Dan Merrill

We are a "green" roofing company. We offer information and advice on metal and synthetic cedar, tile, and slate roofing products. We also address good, sound installation practices for lifetime and slate roof installations. Generally speaking, we are experienced with any materials that have 50 year or longer, expected lifespan, such as copper, terne coated steels, Kynar painted Steel, Aluminum, etc. We do extensive Infrared scans of homes with water leaks, moisture damage, air leakage, etc. So we have a good practical knowledge of what works and what does not work in the long term. We offer no advice on asphalt or fiberglass roofing products.

Was a hobbyist/home remodeler for over 30 years. Restored over 30 homes. After retiring from engineering (27 years), I studied materials and installation practices of high-end roofing materials. This information was tempered by my engineering experience. We have developed and sell roofing "kits" to roofing contractors who do not have the time to research rarely used roofing products. We ensure that they have all the required materials, tools and information to offer their customers a solid 50 year installation.

National Association of Home Builders Fox Valley Builders Assoc. Illinois Association of Home Builders Remodelers Council of NAHB Metal Roofing Alliance EnergyStar provider U.S. Green Builder Council Better Business Bureau

Our websites and, Fox Tails, publication of the Fox Valley Builders Association

Tech certificate in Mechanical Drafting, 1978. Self-taught Engineer. Many certificates held. Have achieved NAHB "Certified Graduate Remodeler" designation. Graduate of Green Builder College. Licensed, insured & Bonded Roofer in Illinois.

Holder of many Patents, Member of Mensa