Real Roofing Expert wrote at 2012-11-06 23:19:22
I hate to be the one to say this but Deejay is sadly mistaken. GAF was still supplying shingles as recent as 2 years ago with paper wrappers. I know this as I install roughly 40k squares (120k bundles) per year and buy them by the truckloads. If they are still in the wrapper and it says GAF, you will have no problems with the warranty. Just finish your install, fill out the warranty papers and mail them off to GAF. If you ever do have a problem in the future, GAF will not ask you what type of wrappers your shingles came in. LOL

D. John Henderson

My 33 years in the building science business has involved air barriers, waterproofing, and flat & steep slope roofing systems.

My roofing encompasses commercial systems (BUR, mod-bit, single-ply) and residential applications (asphalt shingles, cedar shingles, slate and metal. I am cognizant of code stipulations in regards to FM and UL for commercial roofs.

Attended numerous courses offerd by Roof Consultants Institute, Roofing Industry Educational Institute, Factory Mutual Research Corporation, University of Wisconsin, and BURSI. Lectured for RCI and mentored at a local university for a Building Science Certificate.

Government, commercial businesses such as The GAP, hospitals, school boards as a roof designer.