Roofing/ridge shingle

Question
QUESTION: HELP!!! I know absolutely nothing about roofing; but my parents' home need a new one. I ask 6 estimates- half said ridge shingles are just decorative, no good function except aesthetics. The other half said shingles at edge are protective.
Home is in Calif... consistent weather year round. Most neighbors changed their roofs with edge extensions--- my term for it ridge shingles. Roof is beautiful... but does that have any function at all? It will cost about $400 more. Is it worth it? PLEEEEEASE HELP! I want the roofer to know I am knowledgeable. Do those ridge shingles have any advantages other than looking "nice"??? Many thanks! I will take a pic of my neighbor's home and send to you :)

ANSWER: Villa,

Please send a photo, I am confused by your description.

Bruce Ryan II, RRO
Professional Roof Consultants, Inc.

QUESTION: I am not able to upload... it is a jpeg file.
I'll describe: it looks like an extension, it hugs the edges of the roof. I know it is called ridge shingle because I saw it in timberland and certainteed website.

I just need to know if this style has a function other than aesthetics. The roof to be replaced never had this.... meaning, roof ends at the edge. This one extends and bends to hug the edge.

I hope I am making sense???

Answer
Villa,

So I am understanding that you are asking about a ridge shingle being installed not on the ridge of the roof, but rather installed on the sloped edges (rake edge).  Generally a metal rake edge flashing should be employed here and is required by code.  I have seen this type of shingle installation before and I suppose it could be an aesthetic choice.  The ridge shingles have to be nailed through the roofing shingles, and on a rake edge that is not a desirable condition.  Chances are something is wrong with your installation.

http://oldtimer.wordpress.com/2008/09/18/habitat-tutorial-part-4-roofing/

Go to the webpage above and look for the image titled "Shingles Overhang Rake Edge"  Does this look like what you are describing to me?

Bruce  

Roofing

Bruce A. Ryan II, RRO