Roofing/Aluminum Patio Cover Sealer

Hello Jerry,
I had an aluminum patio cover installed a few years ago and the sealer that was used around the screws and along the joints on top of the cover (Vulkem 116 I think but not certain) is beginning to deteriorate from the constant sun (I'm in southern CA).  I'd like your recommendation on the best product to use to reseal the joints between the panels.
Thank you!

Hello Baron,

I am not directly involved in the aluminum patio cover business but I will provide a couple of suggestions that may be helpful.   Most exposed sealants do not perform well with exposure like you have in California.  There are peal and stick type products that may serve you well.  They have a vinyl or foil on one side and a sticky butyl type material that will bond to the surface.   They come in rolls in various widths. making sure the surface is absolutely clean will have the most effect on performance.

The other alternative might be a "paint on" type sealant that you would flow over the seams and fasteners to provide the seal.   Specific product names are often regional but if you talk to your local hardware store professional, I am sure they can guide you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Jerry Iselin

I am pretty comfortable with all metal roofing related questions. We can discuss performance, application, practicality, technical and detail. It is difficult to deal with pricing issues due to the regional differences.

I started in the metal roofing industry in 1976 working for a major West Coast manufacturer. I spent the next 16 years with that organization leaving as the Vice-President and regional General Manager. In 1992 I started Metal Roof Specialties to focus on the needs of residential and small commercial customers. In my manufacturing years I focused on product introduction and sales as well as design and application. for the past 12 years I have been a regular trainer and presenter at Metalcon International conventions sponsored by the Metal Roofing Alliance and I have also performed training and demonstration area moderation for the National Roofing Contractors Association conventions. I have also been employed by a major metal roofing manufacturer for training and speaking engagements. My company specializes in metal roofing and siding only. We are a supply and install contractor as well as a retail outlet for metal roofing and siding materials.

Metal Roofing Alliance. National Roofing Contractors Association. Building Industry Association of Washington.

Green River Community College - Accounting major. University of Washington - Graduate School of Business Administration - Management Program. BHP Steel - RMC III Executive training, Melbourne, Australia / Berkeley, California.