Roofing/roofing underlay and ventilation

Sal wrote at 2013-02-22 17:25:11
I will add my experience to this.

First, the Rhino product is a shingle only product, per the MFG. If you are using anything else, look to another synthetic that is a #30 replacment or better type.

Regarding synthetic Breathable underlayments, these types of underlayments should never be used with a shingle type cladding. there must be a "space" between the cladding and the underlayment for air circulation.  Essentially, the use of shingle products directly on top of a synthetic breathable is counterproductive.  You are putting a Class 1 vapor retarder on  top of the breathable product.  The life span on your fasteners and shingle will be exponentially reduced.

Brad Zacharia

All aspects of residential Roofing. This includes shingles and flat (low slope) roofs. I have knowledge in the installation as well as the design of roofs from an engineering standpoint.

I have been doing roofing for 40 years. This was my father's business and I took it over in 1980.

I have written responses to artcles that I felt needed a response to and those responses have been published in roofing trade magazines.

BSEE Drexel University