Roofing/height of fascia and drip edge

Question
i have been looking through the NBC and Amendments for Manitoba and cannot find anywhere that drip edge is a code requirement and if it is not does the fascia have to run up to the underside of the shingles to cover all bare wood. This particular project has no drip edge and approximately 1 1/2" of fascia board is exposed above the eavestrough and the shingles project more than an inch past the edge of roof sheathing. i would appreciate some input on this.

Thank you,

Stan Neufeld
Building Inspector
RM of Macdonald

Answer
All building codes be they provincial or national are the minimum requirements for construction. Metal flashing is denoted as requirements in the code where a roof meets a wall only. Drip edge is not required at the eave.  Metal fascia is not a requirement either as many of the older homes had wood soffits and fascia's.

The installation of shingles at the eave are denoted in the code only in regards to starter strip not projecting more than 13mm (1/2")beyond the eave.

The code only denotes a double layer of 90 lb roll roofing in the valley.

Manufacturer's recommendations are more stringent for warranty purposes as they prefer open metal valleys. Overhang should not be more than 13 mm either.

sorry no legal answer to your query.  

Roofing

D. John Henderson