Roofing/Roof Codes

Question
I had a home built in 1994. The house was always cold, could not figure out why. I recently had blown in foam insulation done. When the contractor took off pieces of the siding the house was found to have no tyvek. As he went to insulate the attic we found out the duct work to the bathroom fans was incorrect and there was lack of ventilation in the attic over the master bath causing the start of mold. When they cut a spot for the new vent in the roof it was discovered there is no felt paper on the roof. The shingles were installed straight onto the shingles which are falling apart. I need to find out what code was for Michigan in 1994 to see if maybe I can sue the builder.
Any help would be appreciated.

Answer
Stephanie,

I am afraid that your statute of limitations has likely expired long ago.  I am not familiar with Michigan law, but generally the statute of ultimate repose is 10 to 12 years from completion, so I would say that you are out of luck.  It sounds like your roof is almost 20 years old; generally that is about the age that they need to be replaced.

Consider inquiring with a Michigan State construction lawyer, or your State's Contractor' Board.  They should be able to advise you of your rights and chances of success as it pertains to your state.

I am sorry to hear of your situation,

Bruce Ryan II, RRO
Professional Roof Consultants, Inc.

Roofing

Bruce A. Ryan II, RRO