Roofing/metal roof

Question
I have a brick ranch that I just had a tearoff with a steel roof installed. My question is should it be grounded?

Answer
There are some considerations for the answer to this question.  I am assuming that the metal roof was installed over a wood deck such as plywood.  I am also assuming that it was attached with screws through the metal roof directly into the wood deck.  If these assumptions are correct, my opinion is that the roof is already grounded.  Secondly, your electrical system is grounded to the outside by way of a copper or aluminum cable to a ground rod.  This protects the critical areas you are most likely concerned with, electronics and other appliances.

What you are referring to , most likely, is the lightening suppression systems you see on commercial buildings with metal roofs.  In those installations there is often direct contact between the metal roof and the metal structure of the building.  This often requires a lightening suppression system in certain jurisdictions for code purposes.  

Roofing

Leon R. Dazey