Roofing/Roof Leaking

Question
My carpenter (note- not a roofer) is building a porch for me.  There is a skylight and this roof is 3 sided one covering the porch and attached to the house on one side.  He did not use any ice/water shield and the roof is leaking now.  It's a very slight pitch and normally we would have used rolled paper but I'm allergic to the smell so he shingled.  Now it won't stop leaking in the area surrounding the skylight.  He also didn't use any flashing....guy tood 2 weeks, long days to do this job and the room is only 8x14.  Now that the damage has been done..what is the solution?

Feeling pretty worried about this situation.

Answer
Your roof should be leaking everywhere when snow will start to stay on it. The low slope of less than 4:12 is normally covered with roll roofing (90 pound). One can install shingles but:
1.) ice and water shield must be installed over the whole roof area. Why, because the roof will hold snow and the thaw will cause water to travel under the shingle and leak inside.
2.) all the tabs in the shingles have to be adhered with asphalt plastic cement. Why, because the shingles will lift when snow thaws on the roof and re-freezes.
3.) Check shingle manufacturer's warranty.  Due to low slope the warranty may only be 12 years regardless of a 25, 30, 40 year shingle.

The skylight should have ice & water shield around the base of it, then step flashings installed with the shingle on the up slope of the skylight.
Solution is to remove all shingles and do it right.
Sorry for the bad news.

You live in New York so you should get snow.  

Roofing

D. John Henderson