Roofing/Roof Leaking

Question
The roof is leaking and here is the history.  I hope you can help me. My carpenter (note- not a roofer) is building a porch for me.  There is a skylight and this roof is 3 sided one covering the porch and attached to the house on one side.  He did not use any ice/water shield and the roof is leaking now.  It's a very slight pitch and normally we would have used rolled paper but I'm allergic to the smell so he shingled.  Now it won't stop leaking in the area surrounding the skylight.  He also didn't use any flashing....guy tood 2 weeks, long days to do this job and the room is only 8x14.  Now that the damage has been done..what is the solution?
Thanks for your help.

Answer
Shelley,
Shingles are not to be installed on a slope less than 2:12, and even then must have a double layer of underlayment (between 4:12 and 2:12). You indicate that there is a slight pitch which I assume means is a "low slope" - meaning less than 2:12. This is inappropriate for shingle installation and you must have a watertight installation #shingles are "water-shedding" implying that they rely on the slope to aid in the prevention of moisture intrusion#. If the slope is greater than 2:12, please respond and we will see if there are other options.
I'm sorry but the only solution is to remove the shingles and install an appropriate "low-slope" roofing material. The material should extend up the curb of the skylight such that the sheet metal frame covers the membrane #it is recommended to cover by a minimum of 4"#. You note that you are allergic to the smell of the rolled roofing #I'm assuming that it is the asphalt smell that causes you problems#. There are other low-slope appropriate membranes such as PVC, KEE, EPDM, TPO or other such single-ply membranes which do not have the asphalt smell. I would recommend that you contact a roofing contractor to have them install the correct materials.
Sorry that you are having leaking and I hope that this helps,
Aaron

Roofing

Aaron Nelson