Roofing/soffit vs eyebrow vents

Question
I have a low slope 1920's craftman with composite shingles over tar and gravel and NO ventilation. I am removing both existing roofs and replacing with composite shingles. Is there a benefit to soffit vents vs "eyebrow" vents at the eaves?
Also, do you have an opinion on Ice and Water Shield vs. Tri Built underlayment?
Thank you,
Ursula

Answer
Thank you for your questions.

I am a strong believer in good ventilation. Proper ventilation requires intake vents and exhaust vents. Intake vents are commonly vents in the eave soffits.  A good exhaust vent is a continuous ridge vent.

Good ventilation will make your home more energy efficient and less prone to mold.

A great source of ventilation information is www.airvent.com

I am not familiar with eyebrow vents other than as a style of gable end vent. In that case, it would function more as an exhaust vent, fed by eave soffit vents. You can also cross-feed between opposing gable vents. Gable vents should not be used to feed ridge vents as it will not create good air exchanges.

Tri Built is a synthetic underlayment which is a good substitute for roofing felt. However, it is not a substitute for ice and watershield where ice and watershield is required by code. Ice and watershield is by definition a self adhering rubberized membrane.

I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me anytime at tmiller@classicroof.com

Todd Miller

Roofing

Todd E. Miller