Roofing/ventilation in a geodesic dome home

Question
Hello,

My name is Dawn. I live in a dome home, and am having a new roof put on.  However, I currently do not have a ventilation system at the peak of the dome; and my insurance adjuster suggests that the contractor put in ridge vents.  The contractor claims that he cannot put any ventilation system at the top or any where near the top because it will weaken the strength of the structure.  I currently have cylinder looking vents over the kitchen, (a room off the main dome room with a flat roof) but my insurance adjuster does not believe they are serving any purpose. Is it true that I cannot have a ventilation system at the top of the dome?? It's so hard to cool the home in the summer.  Do you have any advice for me that I could pass on the the contractor?

Answer
Good Morning Dawn,

An interesting home and situation.  The strength and stability of the structure comes from its unique series of geometric angles (triangles) which is very stable design.  With that said, compromised improperly, that staibility can be badly damaged. If you to consider modifications, it would need to be done so as to not disrupt the existing structual elements.

Being that I am not able to view the home or elements related to it, some presumptions will be made and comments based upon those.  It is puzzling why the insurance adjuster amde any such comment to begin with as it is outside his scope or responsibility or expertise. I highly doubt he is an Architect, Engineer or otherwise qualified to even speak on the subject.  

If you would desire to add ventilation to the home, such is possible but structure in and around where such will be added should be reinforced to secure the ventilation item to. Venting can be simple two-way vent that allows air to flow out and it, one-way that would have some type of motor to force air outward and a baffle to prevent two-way air movement.  There are solar powered vents that are an option so power source is simplified.  The important issues as I see it, is that the ventilation is secured to additional reinforcement and not to existing geodesic dome framing.  Location and frequency of the vents is critical to performance, will it really make a difference or not!  They need to be high within the structure, which will make reinforcing the strucrure inside more difficult, not like you can simply lean a ladder up inside.

I recommend you look at vent choices, solar might be a good one and decide cost for anticipated performance and function. then make an informed choice. If you have centralized heating and A/C in the home, two-way ventilation that openly allows outisde air may not be a good choice as this could effect air balance and performance of your heating and A/C system.

I hope this gives you something to think about, research and make a decision to improve your home.

All the best.

Steven Wadding

Roofing

Steven C. Wadding RRC,RRO,CDT