Roofing/hole in copper on my bay window

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
I tried to remove an air conditioner from the upstairs bedroom and when I opened the window the unit fell out! While falling, it hit the copper on top of my bay window and put a gouge in it with a tiny tear in the copper. What can I use to repair the tear so water doesn't get in?
Thanks,
Susan

ANSWER: Susan,

Well that certainly is bad news!  An emergency repair can take the form of something as simple as duct tape.  If the copper is dirty, you can clean the surface with soft scrub, ammonia, or soap and a scrubby pad, dry, and patch with tape oriented vertically or horizontally starting at the bottom.

For a permanent repair you should call a sheet metal contractor to perform a repair that consists of a copper sheet riveted and soldered watertight to the existing panel.  If the panel is really dented, consider having it replaced.

Bruce Ryan II, RRO
Professional Roof Consultants, Inc.

QUESTION: Do you know of any sheet metal contractors in the Laurel, Md area that you could recommend?

Answer
I have been in Portland, Oregon for over 15 years now, but oddly I used to work for an outfit there in Maryland in the Annapolis/Baltimore area.  Generally I also do not give recommendations for contractors or manufacturers, but this is a special case.  Please let Ben know I hope all is well you speak with him.

Look up

Benjamin T Kenney & Sons Inc
1 Azar Ct # A
Halethorpe, MD 21227

(410) 313-9384

A privately held company in Baltimore, MD.

More Details for Benjamin T Kenney & Sons Inc

Categorized under Roofing Contractors, our records show it was established in 1983 and incorporated in Maryland, current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of $750,000 and employs a staff of approximately 5.

Products or Services
Companies like Benjamin T Kenney & Sons Inc usually offer: Commercial Roof Estimating, Commercial Metal Roofs, Rubber Roof, Roof Deck and Concrete Roof.

Bruce Ryan II, RRO
Professional Roof Consultants, Inc.

Roofing

Bruce A. Ryan II, RRO