Roofing/Attic Ventilation

Question
Hi Bruce,

I am installing a new roof with the GAF smart vent system. I currently have a ridge vent and attic fan. I have learned that I should get rid of attic fan and close off gables with the new system (should have been done before with soffit vents and ridge vent). My question is, does it make sense to disconnect the attic fan but leave the unit in place to add additional air escape pathway to compliment the ridge vent?

Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Answer
Jeff,

If the attic fan is situated near the ridge, I don't see a problem with leaving it in place.  However, if you are replacing the roof it will leave just another penetration which requires flashing and maintenance.  If you have been satisfied with the past performance of the attic fan, I suggest that there is no harm in leaving it and operating it when you have typically in the past.  So if the fan has been effective you should leave it and leave it operational.  Have the roofer leave you a spare bundle of shingles or two (they should do that anyway) and if in a year or two you find that the fan is useless, you can abandon it then and remove it even if you wish.

Bruce Ryan II, RRO
Professional Roof Consultants, Inc.

Roofing

Bruce A. Ryan II, RRO