We had new guttering installed. My installer used a transit on a tripod to get slope on guttering. It does not seem to gradually lower the direction I wanted it to when comparing fasica board behind it and using a levelor on this 60 ft. Run does not show the slope going the way the installer said it would. He told me to trust him, that the slope is correct sloping gradually from right to left where I observed with levelor and board behind it doing the opposite. I read on long runs you can not use a levelor. My installer also said they measured from the ground up. How do I know for sure before a heavy rain what will happen without adding water to gutters?

I think that adding a small bit of water to the gutter to see where it moves to is the best method to verify that the gutters are properly sloped to the downspouts. It should be mentioned that there are no requirements in the building code for slope of gutters. With the irregularity of construction in general, the easiest method would be just introducing water into the gutters and verifying that it is properly flowing.
Good luck,

Aaron Nelson

All types of questions with regard to roofing, waterproofing and sheet metal. This includes commercial and residential buildings, along with the various aspects of the construction means and methods, ventilation, steep-slope or low-slope, code requirements, installation errors and other such problems

I started in roofing fabricating and installing sheet metal flashings out of high school for a large commercial contractor. I worked for the same contractor in the office estimating and project managing commercial project for 10 years. I left the construction side of roofing and now work as a roof consultant, which I have been doing for 8-years.

RCI, Inc.

I am a Registered Roof Consultant (RRC) and a Registered Roof Observer (RRO) through RCI, Inc. RCI is a international group of building envelope professionals. I am an approved instructor for RCI educational programs.

We have worked with many local school districts, insurance companies, HOA's, building management companies, and we have a national client with buildings located throughout the US.