Roofing/membrane over underground garage

I live in a 4 unit condo in an old historical building.  We have an underground garage under a flagstone 2nd entrance area.  This covers the entire garage area.
It's leaking in two specific areas.  We've been told the entire area must be ripped up & replaced at great cost and it cannot be "repaired".  I'm not buying this.  Can it be repaired?

I am unable to provide you with a concrete answer as to whether the membrane is repairable or not.  Waterproofing membranes do deteriorate to the point that they must be replaced; they can also be repaired if they are in reasonable condition and the source of the breaches can efficiently be located.  

If a contractor has made this determination, I recommend that you go to to find a qualified building envelope consultant in your immediate area that is versed in waterproofing.  Given the potential expense of the replacement, an evaluation and potential leak detection by an independent party will provide you with an objective recommendation and direction.  As a 'Professional Member' of RCI, your consultant will not be a contractor or a manufacturer's representative and therefore is not motivated by benefitting from a determination.

Good luck on your search, and you are wise to question the expenditure further.

Bruce Ryan II, RRO
Professional Roof Consultants, Inc.

Bruce A. Ryan II, RRO

I offer solid knowlege of all types of Commercial and Residential Roofing, Waterproofing, and, Building Envelope systems. Experience ranges across low slope and steep slope roof systems. I am also well versed in matters regarding condensation and ventilation. I enjoy donating some of my time and knowledge to the betterment of others.

Bruce Ryan has 20 years of roofing, waterproofing, and building envelope consulting experience with PRC, with 5 years of commercial roofing experience prior to joining the firm. He became Vice President of the company in 1998. Bruce Ryan plays a key role in the development of practical, long-term roofing and waterproofing solutions, along with implementation of on-site forensic studies. Bruce also has a high level of experience with regard to the impacts of roofing materials and construction for demanding clients with heavily occupied structures.

Oregon Construction Contractors Board Construction Specifiers Institute National Roofing Contractors Association The Institute of Roofing, Waterproofing, & Building Envelope Professionals Oregon Board of Investigators Installation Masters

University of Maryland BS Business & Administration Registered Roof Observer - RCI Private Investigator Certified EIFS inspector - Northwest Wall and Ceiling Bureau Certified InstallationMaster™ - The Installation Masters™ Training and Certification Program (developed by American Architectural Manufacturers Association)