Roofing/metal roof

QUESTION: hi..i live in the south, and the intense sun does no good to our current standard roof, or the cooling bills. i needed ask if a metal roof would be a good investment; defray heat and help lower the utility bills. thank you!!

ANSWER: No, a metal roof will not be better at colling or heating you home or help keep it at a btter temp.  

You should first check your insulation and make sure you have at least R-32 you could even go as high as R-48 and it may be recomended for you.

So, don't change you roof but instead look into attic insulation and make sure you attic ventilation is up to par and thats about the best you can do.

QUESTION: ok; thank you..i have a vaulted ceiling here so of course no insulation with it; the house was built in 1974. so what are some good things about a metal roof?

If you like the look of it (I do) it is a very nice looking roof and it has a long warranty.  If it is installed properly you wont have to maintain it.  

If you are considering a metal roof I would go with the vertically run standing seam metal roofing not the horizontally run panel metal roofs.  

Brian Atkins

I can answer any questions related to all type of roof repairs (especially tile roof repair and flat roof repair work). I can also answer most new roof or roofing related questions with the exception of questions in regards to single ply roofing (PVC) and standing seam or metal panel roofing. I have little or no experience with those applications.

I was first introduced to roofing by my father who was started his own roofing career in Orange County CA. By the time I was 10 years old I knew what most general roofing materials were and had some idea of their purpose. At the age of thirteen I started working during the summers doing roofing. After graduating from High School I began working full time as a journeyman roofer doing roof repair work and complete new roofs. My area of specialty and interests has always been on the roof repair side of the business. In 1997 I took the CSLB testing and qualified for a license on my own and moved my roofing business location to Lake Forest, CA 92630. Currently I operate South County Roofing company serving the following areas of Orange County Anaheim, Anaheim Hills, Aliso Viejo, Buena Park, Brea, Cypress, Capistrano Beach, Costa Mesa, Corona Del Mar, Dana Point, Fountain Valley, Fullerton, Foothill Ranch, Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Irvine, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Hills, Ladera Ranch, Laguna Beach, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Orange, Newport Beach, Newport Coast, Placentia, Rancho Santa Margarita, San Clemente, Seal Beach, Silverado Canyon, San Juan Capistrano, Santa Ana, Tustin, Trabuco Canyon, Villa Park, Westminster, Yorba Linda.

I have written articles about roofing in general for a couple local magazines.

La Quinta High School 1988 Westminster, Ca 92683-7098

We have a bunch of Certifications from most of the roofing manufactures, some "Best of Awards" from things like Angie's List and some others that I can't remember.

Just your average everyday people. We did a nice little restoration project for the California Department of Parks and Recreation in 2005, the Crystal Cove Beach Cottages -