Roofing/metal roof ridge vent issu

Question
QUESTION: I have a 15 year old metal roof with a ridge vent which seems to have had no issues until a recent storm with hurricane force winds and a high volume of rain.  It appears that the high winds forced the rainwater up the roof and through the ridge vent which then leaked into the house causing various degrees of damage to the sheetrock inside. I have two questions: 1) Is it reasonable to believe that the ridge vent will provide adequate ventilation to dry out the insulation or should I be doing something to insure the space between the roof and the vaulted ceilings is drying out? 2) Is there is some type of product that could be installed on the "weather" side of the vent to prevent water from blowing in but not reduce the effectiveness of the vent? Thanks, in advance, for any insights you may have for me!!

ANSWER: I am sorry to hear about the problems you experienced.

Before I give you my thoughts I need a little more information ... do you have soffit vents as intake to bring in air to feed to the ridge vent?

Thanks.

www.asktoddmiller.com

QUESTION: Yes, there are soffit vents on the front and back of the house...

Answer
I do think it's reasonable to expect things to dry out.

I wonder whether you have enough soffit vents. Normally they will be bringing in enough air that the ridge vent will not be able to draw in rain.  Howeverm hurricane conditions can do a lot of things.

I doubt there is anything helpful that can be added to your ridge vent but feel free to send pictures of it to me at todd@asktoddmiller.com

Thanks.

Roofing

Todd E. Miller