Roofing/replacement of a shake roof

I have cedar shake on this beautifully designed sloped roof.  My understanding is that the pitch of this slope is a poor design for shake.  The slope starts at the top as steep but at mid level the slope changes to a gradual decline.  It is attractive but has been leaking since 2009 at this point it was 8 years old. Your can see the home on since it is on the market and not selling.  My question is for a house in the NW, surrounded by trees that deposit a great deal of debris that does not blow off of and grow an incredibly healthy amount of moss, what would be the best roofing material to put on this home?  Other houses in the development do not have the tree closeness, the material on the other homes are clay. Their roofs are not leaking.  This house was the last in the development and 2nd generation cedar shake wood was put on.

I looked at your picture and I looked on Google. The slope of the roof is not bad and the shakes should be fine for that slope. You probably have a roof that was poorly installed. I also see that you have a lot of separate roofs so each of those has a flashing system. These are common areas for leaks when done by inexperienced roofers. It's usually easy for someone to install the shakes or shingles in the middle of nowhere but the detail work is what trips up a lot of so called "roofers". Common problems are f lashings, protrusions such as pipes, chimneys, etc. It depends where your leaks are.

Brad Zacharia

All aspects of residential Roofing. This includes shingles and flat (low slope) roofs. I have knowledge in the installation as well as the design of roofs from an engineering standpoint.

I have been doing roofing for 40 years. This was my father's business and I took it over in 1980.

I have written responses to artcles that I felt needed a response to and those responses have been published in roofing trade magazines.

BSEE Drexel University