Roofing/Shingle Weight

Question
My home was built in 1984. I want to put on new architectural shingles to get the 130 mph protection, but I am concerned about the increased weight.  Currently I have 3 tab shingles and the plywood under-sheeting is 1/2 inch.  How can I make the determination that the roof will support the weight.  I am the center unit of a 3 unit town home.  Cinder block fire walls separate the units.

Answer
No one builds a building where you're at the weight limits and if you add a few pounds it will collapse. Shingles weigh about 2-3 lbs/sq-ft. A person standing on the roof in one spot is 200 lbs and if a worker comes over to talk to me we're at 400 lbs...in one small area. If your house was made out of toothpicks then you have to worry.

Brad

Roofing

Brad Zacharia