Roofing/Shingle Weight

My home was built in 1984. I want to put on new architectural shingles to get the 130 mph protection, but I am concerned about the increased weight.  Currently I have 3 tab shingles and the plywood under-sheeting is 1/2 inch.  How can I make the determination that the roof will support the weight.  I am the center unit of a 3 unit town home.  Cinder block fire walls separate the units.

No one builds a building where you're at the weight limits and if you add a few pounds it will collapse. Shingles weigh about 2-3 lbs/sq-ft. A person standing on the roof in one spot is 200 lbs and if a worker comes over to talk to me we're at 400 one small area. If your house was made out of toothpicks then you have to worry.

Brad Zacharia

All aspects of residential Roofing. This includes shingles and flat (low slope) roofs. I have knowledge in the installation as well as the design of roofs from an engineering standpoint.

I have been doing roofing for 40 years. This was my father's business and I took it over in 1980.

I have written responses to artcles that I felt needed a response to and those responses have been published in roofing trade magazines.

BSEE Drexel University