Roofing/Improperly stored /old roofing delivered

Question
Delivered Shingles
Delivered Shingles  
QUESTION: I hired a contractor, my shingles were not delivered until a crew had taken off the old roof.  The shingles were Timberline ArmorshieldII (2).. however they had been stored outside and were practically falling out of the wrappers, the paper was very withered, the shingles seemed to be really rigid (laminate)..
When I saw the shingles being delivered I called my sales person.. he sent company rep to my house, I also noticed that there were 2 batches of shingles as they were different above the nail line.  The roof is on, and there are swaths of shingles that don't match..  what should I expect of the company.  I couldn't fire the company as my roof had been torn off.  Is there an expiration for shingles? If there was a code on the shingles, is was long ago withered off the package. I feel like all the shingles should be removed and new shingles placed on the home, the mis matched (two batches) should certainly be removed and replaced.. Oklahoma does have a roofing law but not sure if I can use it as leverage?

ANSWER: Robert,
It is fairly common to have shingles stored outside from the manufacturer and distributors and the rigidity of the shingles is common as well, particularly if the exterior temperatures have been cool (GAF specifically makes note of this in their installation instructions). When you indicate that there are "swaths of shingles that don't match", I'm assuming that this is where bundles of shingles were not mixed and thus different runs #which may have some color differences# were not well blended on the roof. While this is not pleasant to look at, from a roofing integrity standpoint, it is acceptable. The contractor may be willing to replace a couple of the shingles in an effort to mitigate the esthetic issue, however it is not improperly installed #unless somewhere in your contract language you specifically state that bundles shall be mixed#.
I am not aware of anything that would indicate an expiration of the shingles, and I believe that you would be hard pressed to find anything of the sore.
I believe that removal of all of the shingles is excessive, and likely not something that you could press the contractor into doing without some legal action, and I don't believe that you have a strong case. I'm sorry that the roof does not look pleasing, but I'm fearful that there is not a lot of ground to stand on.
I would encourage you to ask the contractor if he would be willing to replace some shingles to improve the blending.
Sorry that I did not have happier advise.
Aaron

Back of house
Back of house  
Front of house
Front of house  
QUESTION: GAF has been contacted and tested the shingles... yes turns out 2 different runs... just wanted to attach some more pics of the final product. I have not seen anything this bad while driving around looking at roofs, you sure I don't have a leg to stand on? There was some talk of replacing the shingles, however the roof structure is 80 yrs old... afraid of what could happen if another roof is put on and this one pulled off...  with my current luck... just wanted to send more pics.. any chance the roof company got a deal on shingles that were 'as is unreturnable'.. anybodies guess ... this really happens often?

Apartment complex with poorly blended shingles
Apartment complex with  
Close up of an area
Close up of an area  
ANSWER: Robert,
You indicated "There was some talk of replacing the shingles..." was this from the contractor? If so that would be great. Provided that there has not been any moisture intrusion the structure is likely fine. More likely these shingles were on a previous project and not needed and brought back to the contractors storage yard and used on the next project with those shingles - which happened to be yours - they didn't have enough and got more - thus the two lots. This is more common than you would think and the blending is generally close enough that you can't tell the difference, or the contractor will do as he should, and mix the shingles together from the different batches so that they blend better. I wanted to show you an apartment complex that I looked at so that you will see that it is not just you that has had this happen to them.
Sorry again for the bad news.
Aaron.

QUESTION: GAF is willing to pay $3300 for labor and give me credit for shingles (21 squares)at the distributor. The problem is that I paid $8000 for the roof and know that I cant find anyone to do the roof again for the money that GAF is willing to pay. I don't think that even the original contractor would do the roof again for that amount of money....just lost here for what to do?  Should I take the $3300 and pocket it, and forget about the shingles credit.... and just be done with it..or try to get the original contractor to do the roof again.

Answer
You can certainly try to talk to the original contractor. It may be effective to re-do just the portion of your house that faces the street or is the most visible. Again this is likely just esthetic (I know - it don't make you feel any better), so if you are able to live with it, perhaps you could take the money and not worry about the looks. There may be some who may tell you to coat the shingles with a coating - I would not recommend it.
I think that your options are either to re-roof the house in it's entirety, or take the money and live with the esthetic issues.
Sorry that the resolution is not great,
Aaron

Roofing

Aaron Nelson