Hi, I live in Maryland and my asphalt shingle roof is about 17 years old.  Most of my neighbors have replaced their roofs and I am having to replace shingles after storms.

I got an estimate from a roofer who recommends a layover (no tear off) with lifetime guarantee architectural shingles.  He says this will save me about $1500 and the shingles are lifetime guaranteed.  The roof is not leaking and I have repaired shingles when they come off, so the condition is not terrible.

I've heard layovers are questionable.  He is licensed and I can't find a record of complaints with this contractor.

What do you think of the layover and the lifetime guarantee?

I'm probably not the best guy to answer this question since roofing in Florida is a lot different than roofing up north but, I will tell you what I know.

I know layovers work in Michigan because my father had a roofing company there for years and said layovers work just fine.
We are in Florida now and we do not do layovers here, some companies do, but we don't.  One of the biggest reasons is that it's impossible to replace all the bad wood.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,

Jesse Curry
Vice President
Roofing By Curry
Sarasota, Fl
<a href=""></a>  

Jesse Curry

I can answer questions pertaining to residential roofing, including shingles, roof tile, and low slope roofing.

I've been the Vice President of Roofing By Curry for 12 years and I have 22 years of residential roofing experience.

I'm a member of the FRSA and the local chapter called SMRSMCA.

I have a Florida State roofing license, CCC1325849.