Roofing/roof repair

Question
I need to have a roof repaired because of a leak in sunroof.

The repar oerson said i have a icing problem. He took a picture
of the area on the roof showing a large black ared with no shingles. He said the area was covered with icing and shingles were not installed on top od icing. He thyen removed a piece of sinding and he showed me a piece of 2x6 and about 8ft long thay was rotten. He said this area need to be covered with shingles.

I have never haerd the word icing before. Is he correct?
Thanks

Answer
Ray,

I am not quite sure what the roofer is talking about but i assume it is called Ice and Water shield. This product is a sticky water and ice barrier that usually goes up valleys and runs along the eave of your home until it passes 2' inside your outside walls. The barrier prevents ice dams from building on your roof during extreme freezing and thaw. This is usually used in colder climates such as a line north of around Kansas City MO. The board they are referring to might be a board that had improper flashing around it? I am not sure.If you have any more questions please ask. Ice and water shield is a valuable material to use if you are in a colder climate and is probably a building code as well. Thanks for asking

Sincerely

Craig Stevens
COO
ARAC Alliance Restoration And Consulting
480-290-1697
aracrestoration.com
cstevensarc@gmail.com  

Roofing

Craig Stevens