Roofing/roofing alternatives

Question
I have a 100 year old very high pitched roof English country cottage Craftsman-style house that is only 35 ft wide but 75 ft deep-- and you only see a huge gable in the front with half-timbers on it.  I say that because you can barely see the roof at all from the front.  

With the cost of re-shingling-- and the fact it's also 3 stories in the back half (built into a hillside) -- I am wondering about alternative roofing.
I saw an Australian show with a 'green' home being renovated and they sprayed a gray-black neoprene coat or two over the old tar and tarpaper roofing.  

I'm wondering if in the US there is anything like that-- the idea of just spraying a good thick layer over dark gray shingles with something of a similar color is possible.  

An elderly neighbor used to put on tin shingle and tar roofs and says they last 50 years or more if done right-- and I would like something that would last where I don't have problems that shingles provide, with wind gusts and so forth.

Maybe this kind of thing wouldn't allow the roof to 'breathe'-- but right now I have 2 layers of shingles on it already!  My relatives apparently didn't have any of the shingles removed since the original clay tiles that were on it were removed in the 50s.  How clay and cement could breathe, I don't know...
Just looking for alternatives to shingles! Thanks!  My neighbors are very curious, too

Answer
I'm not aware of any spray on coatings for steep slope roofs. There are a number of systems for flat roofs that involve renewable coatings but none are applicable to steep slopes.
Standing seam metal roofing in zinc, copper or TCSII can last for a 100 years or longer if applied properly- you might want to look into it.  

Roofing

Tom Petrilli