You are here:

Roofing/removal of metal ridge cap on dw mobil home


This past November I hired some roofers to put a new roof on my Doublewide Mobil Home.  The took off the metal roof cap that was over the middle of the house. Where the two half's join together.
Now my roof leaks and they are arguing that I don't need this cap on my home. Question: If it was on there shouldn't it be put back on?  What is the ridge caps function on a doublewide?

Knowing that the roof is leaking after being installed last November is not a good sign, however, you specifically asked about the "metal cap" running down the ridge of the doublewide. I'm assuming that the home has shingles and that you replaced it with shingles. Generally the shingles are installed in the factory during fabrication and when the two-halves are mated on-site, a ridge is installed to cover the joint between the two-halves. I'm assuming that when the new shingles were installed the roofing contractor just installed standard ridge shingles which would take the place of the metal ridge that was originally installed. If this is the case then the metal ridge cap would not be necessary - UNLESS it is a vented ridge, which is NOT common in mobile homes.
The long and short of it is that if the roofing contractor correctly installed a ridge using shingles, the metal cap is not necessary.
Sorry that the home is leaking - that has got to be frustrating.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Aaron Nelson


All types of questions with regard to roofing, waterproofing and sheet metal. This includes commercial and residential buildings, along with the various aspects of the construction means and methods, ventilation, steep-slope or low-slope, code requirements, installation errors and other such problems


I started in roofing fabricating and installing sheet metal flashings out of high school for a large commercial contractor. I worked for the same contractor in the office estimating and project managing commercial project for 10 years. I left the construction side of roofing and now work as a roof consultant, which I have been doing for 8-years.

RCI, Inc.

I am a Registered Roof Consultant (RRC) and a Registered Roof Observer (RRO) through RCI, Inc. RCI is a international group of building envelope professionals. I am an approved instructor for RCI educational programs.

Past/Present Clients
We have worked with many local school districts, insurance companies, HOA's, building management companies, and we have a national client with buildings located throughout the US.

©2017 All rights reserved.