Roofing/roofing shingles - T-lock - replacement

Question
John,

I have a t-lock roof that has significant wind/hail damage. It is to be replaced by my homeowner insurance. In the estimate that was worked up by the adjuster, he called out for the existing t-lock shingles to be replaced with "3-tab, fiberglass 25 year" shingles. I want to know if these shingles are comparable to the existing t-lock shingles. I don't know if the existing shingles are "25 year"shingles. One of the roofing companies that has provided an estimate said they would only install "architectural" shingles because the three tab weren't comparable. I'm just want to make sure I get what I should. Thanks.

Answer
T-lock shingles are unique as they do as named, locked together to provide superior wind resistance. If you do not live in an area of high winds then I would say go with 3-tabs.
There are three types of shingles:
3-tabs- looks like a bunch of boxes when completed and are flat.
Architectural: A flat shingle that may have raised patches or color shading to provide a 3-dimensional look, include T-locks.
Laminate: the true 3-dimensional shingle that may appear to be slate or cedar depending on color and shading.

What you decide to do depends on local wind conditions, and slope of roof.
Look at the various shingles or in fact go on the shingle manufacturers website and use the roof viewer. You can pick a home similar in style to yours, pick the shingle and the color to see if you like it.

If you have windy conditions I would say a laminate shingle is your best avenue. You could have the shingler bring samples and place them on your roof to see if you like them.

Hope this helps.

Roofing

D. John Henderson