Roofing/shingle warranty

Question
I have a 100+ year old home that I had the roof replaced about 4 years ago.  The roofer took off 3 layers and put on a new layer of shingles over cedar shakes.  On parts of the house (mainly) on the side of the dormers some shakes are missing and I now have dips in the roof.  The roof has leaked from my top floor down the side of the wall to my main floor and his fixing it was to put black caulk on the bottom of the dormer.  I am wondering if there is any type of warranty for my shingles now that the were but over cedar shakes, I have heard that doing this is illegal and voids your warranty?  How true is this?

Answer
Tracy,
Unfortunately the installation of a shingle roof atop cedar shakes does violate the building code - International Building Code 2006 (and 2009 but 2006 was likely the applicable code at the time of installation) - Section 1510.3 states "New roof coverings shall not be installed without first removing all existing layers of roof coverings where any of the following conditions occur:" and goes on to item #2 "2. Where the existing roof covering is wood shake, slate, clay, cement or asbestos-cement tile."
I'm afraid that all of the bad things that you have been told regarding this are likely true. I'm confident that a material manufacturer, and an insurance company would deny any claim due to faulty workmanship, and they would have a strong case to support it. Unfortunately it appears that the roofing contractor improperly installed this roof covering and was able to get away with it. I would encourage you to contact the contractor and encourage them to replace the shingles and bring the roofing installation into compliance with the current building codes. This may require the installation of sheathing once the existing shakes are removed which will be an additional cost that should be borne by you, however the remainder of the cost should likely be assumed by the contractor.
Good luck and sorry for the bad news.
Aaron

Roofing

Aaron Nelson